Dermatofibromas are harmless, round, red-brownish skin growths that are most commonly found on the arms and legs. Dermatofibromas contains scar tissue and feel like hard lumps in the skin. The causes of dermatofibromas are not known, but they typically appear in areas of trauma (e.g. , a nick from shaving).
Symptoms of Dermatofibromas:
- Red, brown or purple growth that can change colors over time
- Growth is roughly the size of a BB pellet
- Often tender, painful and itchy, but can also be painless
- A dimple appears when the growth is pinched
Treatment of Dermatofibromas
- In most cases, there is no need to treat dermatofibromas.
- Growths can be removed surgically, or can be flattened by freezing with liquid nitrogen.